Most of us are under attack – from part of ourselves. The old adage ‘you are your own worst enemy‘ really is true. As we become more aware of the part of us that acts as judge and jury it really can be unpleasant – we wouldn’t accept friends or family talking to us this way. Yet we believe these attacks are the unvarnished truth. If you find yourself saying any of these things to yourself – your critic is in action:
- I can’t believe you made such a stupid comment.
- You’d better not let that happen again.
- You are so fat no one will ever be interested in you.
- You will never be a success, so forget it.
- I told you you didn’t have a chance.
- What makes you think anyone cares about you at all?
- No one will ever take you seriously.
This article from Harvard Business Review gives some starting points to think about, and coaching can be useful support.
#coaching #leadership #selfawareness