“A ship in harbor is safe. But that’s not what ships are built for” – William Shedd
This quote gets me thinking… Where am I staying in the harbour, safe, secure, protected from the waves and the winds? This might be good and the right thing for me to do right now, after all I don’t want to be in metaphorical force 8 gales all the time! I don’t want to be eating weevil ridden biscuits for days on end. But, sometimes safety can be too comfortable and, as William Shedd said – not what we are built for.
So, I’m talking to myself and some coaching clients, asking:
- What would it be like if you were to set sail one afternoon?
- Where would you head for?
- Where are the rocks and the sea monsters? Do we need to face them as it is the only way or is there a scenic route?
- What resources would you need?
- Who would you want on your crew!
Have you wondered about your setting sail? Coaching can help you think it through and start pulling up the sails!